Sunday, April 12, 2009

I'm ok. Easter Sunday 2009

I sit alone and listen to Louie Armstrong
on head phones connected to the I-pod
tucked in my blue jean pocket.
I sit alone with no make up on
in my “Where the Wild Things Are” T-shit,
eating Chinese food
at an all you can eat buffet
on Easter Sunday.

Louie Armstong & Velma Medelton
are singing “Don’t Fence Me In,”
as I take Polo’s call on my cell phone that vibrates
on the fake granite countertop table.
He tells me about the amazing night he had with another man,
his voice playful against Louie responding to Velma
“Give me lands lots of lands need the starry skies above,
Don’t fence me in.
Let me ride thru the wide
open country that I love,
Don’t fence me in.”


Polo promises mama poeta me
that he is being safe,
and that he will tell someone where this other man lives.
I close my cell phone warmed by
his youthful excitement and optimism.

As Louie goes into “C Jam Blues”
I smile at the little boy in his Sunday’s best,
who runs from his father towards my booth,
face covered in sugar and laughing.

Que Bonito es este Domingo,
sola
ok without baskets
my own babies
or beautiful Sunday dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment